Here are some ideas and techniques if you are stuck on rewriting a poem.
Remember that the whole point of editing is to edit through someone else's eyes. You need to not be in love with the poem. Give it some time.
- Read your poem out loud to hear the sound of it.
- Where does the poem surprise you? Make these accidents intentional. Build up to them or go in different directions.
- What is the imagery doing? Is it coherent? Is it mostly concrete or abstract? Are you showing or telling?
- Does the form reflect the content? Is there a more appropriate form that would work? Can you build in rhyme or is the rhyme inappropriate?
- Look at line breaks. What are they doing? Are they intentional?
- Remove clichés.
- Remove joints of poem and common words.
- Keep a slush pile
- Cut the last lines
Transform the poem and create something new out of the ashes.